martes, 23 de octubre de 2018

PAST PERFECT

Resultado de imagen para PAST PERFECT

PAST PERFECT

The perfect past in English corresponds to the pluperfect of Spanish. In general, we use it for actions that occurred before another action in the past.

Grammatical Rules

Form


As in the present perfect, the perfect past is formed with the auxiliary verb "to have" and the past participle. The auxiliary verb will be in the past.
SujetoVerbo AuxiliarForma CortaParticipio Pasado
I, you, he, she, it, we, theyhadI’d, you’d, he’d, she’d, it’d, we’d, they’dstudied, visited, worked…
♣️Note: Be careful because the contraction "-'d" is also used with the modal verb "would" to form the conditional. As such, the short form "I'd" can have two different meanings. We can distinguish between these two meanings by the form of the main verb that follows them. If we mean "I'd" in the sense of perfect past, the main verb is in the form of a past participle, while with the conditional, "I'd" is followed by the verb in infinitive.

Structure 

1. Affirmative Sentences 
Sujeto + “had” + participio pasado…
Example:
had [I’d] visited the Louvre before, so I knew where the Mona Lisa was.
They had [They’d] studied English before they went to London.
Henry changed careers because he had [he’d] worked as an accountant for many years and was bored.
2. Negative Sentences 
Sujeto + “had” + “not” + participio pasado…
Example:
had not [hadn’t] visited the Louvre before so I didn’t know where the Mona Lisa was.)
They had not [hadn’t] studied English before they went to London.
Henry changed careers even though he had not [hadn’t] worked as an accountant for long.
3. Interrogative Sentences
“Had” + sujeto + participio pasado…?
Example:
How did you know where the Mona Lisa was? Had you visited the Louvre before?
Had they studied English before they went to London?
Had Henry worked as an accountant for long before he changed careers?

Uses

1. We use the perfect past to refer to an action or event that started in the past and that precedes another action also in the past. The action that occurred first is in the past perfect and the one that follows in simple past.

Examples:
  •  I'd read the book before I saw the movie 
  •  Donna had just left when you called.
  •  Had you ever flown before the trip to France? 


2. It is used for actions that occurred before a specific time in the past.

Examples:
  •  I had already woken up when the alarm clock rang at 7am 
  •  I had not been to France before the trip in 2008. 

3. Also, as in the present perfect, with some verbs we use the perfect past for situations that started in the past and that continued to a specific point in the past.

Examples:
  •  She had only owned one car before she bought her new BMW. 
  •  I'd been depressed for a long time before I changed jobs 

Exercise 1 - Past perfect

  1. Kevin(go) home by the time I arrived.score
  2. Ethan suddenly realised that he(leave) his laptop on the train.score
  3. Mum was annoyed because I(not clean) my room.score
  4. (they / study) English before they went to the USA?score
  5. We were hungry because(not eat).score
  6. My phone didn't work because I(charge) it.score
  7. Why didn't you want to watch the film?(you / see) it before?score
  8. Sally was embarrassed because she(forget) her dad's birthday.score

Taken from: 


Today's lesson is by Stephanie.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

EVALUATION

EVALUATION  Our teacher, Mrs Jones, (never / be) late for lessons. There is another chair  across beside opposite  the woman. ...